The simplest answer to this question is that the tenant pays somewhere between 30-40% of their adjusted gross income toward rent and utilities. The Kenosha Housing Authority (KHA) issues a voucher to that landlord to make up the difference between this amount and the actual rent. The actual calculation is based upon the following steps:

  1. The KHA determines a payment standard that is the amount generally needed to rent a moderately priced dwelling unit in the local housing market
  2. After identifying a unit, the KHA calculates the gross rent (the rent for the unit plus an utility allowance)
  3. The voucher amount is equal to the lesser of the payment standard minus 30% of the family's monthly adjusted income, or the gross rent minus 30% of the family's monthly adjusted income
  4. The family pays the difference between the unit rent and the voucher