What are housing choice vouchers?
See the introduction to housing choice vouchers

Who is eligible?
See the eligibility web page

What is the application process?
See the housing choice vouchers steps page

How much does a tenant pay?
See the payment amount web page

Who administers the housing choice vouchers program?
The Kenosha Housing Authority (KHA) administers the housing choice vouchers program for the City of Kenosha. The KHA receives federal funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)

How quickly can I receive housing assistance?
Unfortunately, long waiting periods are common. The demand for housing assistance often exceeds the limited resources available to HUD and the KHA. We may close waiting lists when we have more families on the list than can be assisted in the near future. We suggest applying for a number of programs and in more than one community.

Can I pick any rental unit or home?
Yes, as long as it passes our inspection and does not cause you to pay more than 40% of your monthly adjusted gross income toward rent.

Can I move and continue to receive housing choice voucher assistance?
Moves are permissible as long as the family notifies the KHA ahead of time, terminates the existing lease within the lease provisions, and finds acceptable alternative housing. Under the voucher program, new voucher-holders may choose a unit anywhere in the United States if the family lived in the jurisdiction of the KHA at the time the family applied for assistance. If the family did not reside within the KHA's jurisdiction at the time of the application, the family must initially lease a unit within that jurisdiction for the first twelve months of assistance. If the family is eligible to move, the family must contact the receiving Housing Authority it is moving to to verify that Housing Authority's moving procedures.